Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum are seen meditating on top of the Candy Kingdom relaxed, until Princess Bubblegum has a horrible vision. She tells Finn and Jake that they can go "with" and gives them necklaces that will protect them. Peppermint Butler then puts them in a Giant bubble and they float upward.
They soon make there way to a giant old tree, and in it is The Lich trapped in Amber, from when Billy pummeled him into the amber and trapped him centuries ago. The Lich is seen chanting spells to take over a body so he can escape, and ends up taking over the Snail. Being possessed, it cracks a little hole in the Amber, which frees The Lich. Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum are all shocked by this, and Finn tells Jake to quickly turn into a big sword. Jake does so and Finn attacks The Lich with Jake as a Big Sword, but The Lich then escapes.
The scene then changes to Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum standing in a little room in the Candy Kingdom. Princess Bubblegum then shows them The Gauntlet of the Hero Billy, stating that it is the only thing that can harm The Lich. Ice King then appears and asks Finn and Jake to bless a marriage between him and Princess Bubblegum. Finn and Jake are unamused and shut the windows and lock them. Finn then obtains The Gauntlet of The Hero Billy. Before they leave, Princess Bubblegum gives Finn a sweater that she knitted for him so it can keep him warm in the Lich's lair. The two then leave for the life threatening Quest.
- Jake says that this is the duo's first "fate of the world" deal.
- The episode was previously named "This Mortal Folly."
- This is the first episode with two parts.
- This is the first time the Snail has a major role.
- One of the horns of the Lich are broken, but in PB's vision, he has both intact.
- Ice King "Accidently" dropped Princess Bubblegum in The Well of Power, which caused Princess Bubblegum to be severly burned and be possessed by The Lich